Gifts of Stock & Mutual Funds

There are a number of ways to support the National Center for Lesbian Rights and the movement for LGBT equality.

If you own stock or mutual funds, it may be more tax-wise to contribute these shares than cash. This is because a gift of appreciated stock or mutual funds generally provides you a two-fold tax advantage. First, you avoid paying capital gains tax on the increase in the value of the stock or mutual funds. Second, you receive a federal income tax deduction for the full fair market value of the stock or mutual funds at the time of the gift.

For example, if you purchased some stock many years ago for only $1,000, and now it is worth $10,000, an outright gift of this stock to NCLR would result in a charitable contribution deduction of $10,000. In addition, there would be no tax on the $9,000 appreciation in value.

Gifts of appreciated stock or mutual funds are fully deductible up to a maximum of 30% of your adjusted gross income. For example, if your adjusted gross income for the year is $100,000, up to $30,000 of long-term appreciated stock and other property gifts may be deducted for that year. Any excess can generally be carried forward and deducted over as many as five subsequent years.

It’s easy to make a stock or mutual fund gift to NCLR.

  1. First, read and complete the instructions on making gifts of stock or mutual funds to NCLR. (pdf)
  2. Then, if you like, download a sample transfer letter in Word format which you can fill in with your information and use to make your gift.

Your gift of stock or mutual fund shares must be received by NCLR’s broker by December 31 to count as a tax deduction for that year.

  1. In addition, to ensure that you are properly credited and acknowledged for your gift, please send or fax the instructions sheet form (or a copy of your transfer letter) to or to:

Elizabeth Lanyon
Individual Giving Manager
NCLR, 870 Market Street, Suite 370
San Francisco, CA 94102
Fax: 415.392.8442

Please note that this information should not be construed as legal or tax advice.

Please contact your own accountant, attorney, or tax advisor for assistance regarding stock or mutual fund gifts you may be considering making to NCLR.